To deter crime and assist the Marygrove College Campus Safety Department in protecting:
- The safety and property of the College community.
- The applicable legal and privacy interests of the College and College community.
This policy applies to students, faculty, employees, contractors, consultants, temporary help and other workers at Marygrove College, including all personnel affiliated with third parties who use surveillance cameras in College facilities, and/or conduct surveillance monitoring and recording.
This policy does not apply to:
- The use of surveillance cameras or other surveillance conduct during criminal investigations, by the Marygrove College Campus Safety Department or by local, state or federal law enforcement agencies.
- Legitimate academic uses of surveillance cameras approved by the College's Senior Administration for the protection of the college community.
- Surveillance Camera
Any item, system, camera, technology device, communications device used alone or in conjunction with a network for the purpose of gathering, monitoring, recording or storing an image or images of College facilities and/or people in College facilities.
Images captured by surveillance cameras may be real-time or preserved for review at a later date. Such devices may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Close-circuit television
- Web cameras
- Real-time surveillance systems
- Computerized visual monitoring
- Cell phone with cameras
- Surveillance Monitoring or Recording
Using surveillance cameras or other related technology to observe, review or store visual images for the purpose of deterring crime and protecting the safety and security of the Marygrove College community.
- College Facilities
All College areas on College-owned, leased or controlled property, both internal and external, including offices, common spaces, labs and other areas.
Marygrove College is committed to enhancing the quality of campus life by integrating the best security practices with state-of-the-art technology. The College's use of surveillance cameras for surveillance monitoring or recording must be:
- Conducted in a professional, ethical, and legal manner.
- Compliant with Marygrove College Administrative Policies and Procedures.
- Limited to uses that do not violate a person's reasonable expectation of privacy, as defined by current legal standards applicable to private colleges and universities.
- Installation and/or placement of surveillance cameras in College facilities must be approved by the President, appropriate College Vice President and the Director of Campus Safety.
- Only College personnel designated by the President, appropriate College Vice President and Director of Campus Safety, will have access to the images captured by surveillance monitoring or recordings.
- All existing uses of surveillance cameras and surveillance monitoring or recording, subject to this policy, must be in compliance with this policy. A request to continue using the existing surveillance cameras will be submitted to the President, appropriate Vice President or Director of Campus Safety. Network connectivity for surveillance monitoring or recording must comply with College policies.
Violations of these procedures may result in disciplinary action in accordance with the policies, contracts, rules and regulations governing College employees.
The Campus Safety Department will train designated personnel on the responsible use of the information and technology. Designated personnel will also be supervised by a specific supervisor, with periodic review performed by the Director of Campus Safety or his/her designee.
Retention and Release of Information
- The Campus Safety Department will retain images obtained through surveillance monitoring or recording for a length of time deemed appropriate for the purpose of monitoring, but not to exceed 90 days, unless such images have historical value, or are being used for a criminal investigation. Any questions regarding the retention of these images should be directed to the Director of Campus Safety.
- Only the President, appropriate Vice President and Director of Campus Safety can authorize the release of information and results obtained through surveillance monitoring or recording. All external requests for the release of information and results obtained through surveillance monitoring or recording must be approved by Marygrove College's General Counsel's Office.
- Information obtained in violation of this policy cannot be used in any disciplinary proceeding against any College employee, faculty member or student.