Marygrove College Student Transition Fund
Information and Description
If you were an undergraduate student at Marygrove as of December 2017, you may be eligible for funding to help ease the transition to your new school. Please read the information below for eligibility and application details. Click here for the Student Transition Fund application.
What are the requirements to apply for Student Transition Fund support?
- In order to be eligible for support, you:
- Must have been an undergraduate student at Marygrove College, actively enrolled as of December 2017;
- May NOT have any outstanding, unpaid balance at Marygrove College at the time of application for Student Transition stipends;
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at your current school and able to provide proof of enrollment as indicated on the application
- If you do not meet each of the eligibility requirements at the time of application and subsequently meet those requirements, you may apply for support during the next application window.
What types of support are available?
- There are two primary types of support available: Logistical Stipends and a Course Replacement Stipend
- The Logistical Stipends are available to all students who are eligible for support as detailed above. The stipend may cover such eligible needs as transportation, housing, books and supplies.
- A Course Replacement Stipend is available to any student who was enrolled at Marygrove at the end of Fall Term 2017 with freshman, sophomore or junior status. Students with senior status or who had 90 or more credits are not eligible for this stipend (with specific exceptions). This stipend helps cover the credit-hour cost of courses you must take to supplement or replace specific courses you completed and passed at Marygrove College.
- The terms “eligible course” and “eligible courses” will be used frequently in this document in relation to the Course Replacement Stipend. These terms are defined as a course or courses completed and passed at Marygrove College for which you need to take additional courses at your current school because: your current school’s grade requirement for that course is higher than Marygrove’s; a course required for general education or your major area of study at Marygrove is not accepted at your current school; or a course or courses fulfilling a Marygrove requirement and accepted by your current school only partially fulfill a similar requirement at your current school.
How many years of support am I eligible for?
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 as freshmen are eligible for support until the end of the 2021-2022 school year or until they graduate, whichever comes first.
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 as sophomores are eligible for support until the end of the 2020-2021 school year or until they graduate, whichever comes first.
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 as juniors are eligible for support until the end of the 2019-2020 school year or until they graduate, whichever comes first.
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 as seniors are eligible for Logistical support until to the end of the Fall Term of the 2018-2019 school year or until they graduate, whichever comes first.
How should I apply?
What documents do I need to submit with my application?
- Along with the application form, you also must submit:
- Proof of at least half-time enrollment at a 2- or 4-year higher education institution or Michigan community college. This can be in the form of a current official or unofficial transcript; a tuition invoice; or a proof of enrollment letter.
- A copy of a completed FERPA Consent to Release Student Information form (or your current school’s equivalent document) authorizing your current school to share your student information with Marygrove College.
- If you request a Course Replacement Stipend, that portion of the application must be reviewed and signed by an appropriate representative of your current school. Marygrove College will contact your school to verify your eligibility for the Course Replacement Stipend.
When are the application windows?
- The application period for stipends for Winter Term of 2018 begins immediately and runs through March 15, 2018.
- Subsequent application windows will be August 15 through September 30 (Fall Term), and December 15 through January 31(Winter/Spring Term) of each academic year for which you are eligible. Applications for late spring and/or summer semesters will be accepted as received, but no later than July 1.
- If you do not submit the application form, signed by all appropriate parties and accompanied by all required documents by the deadline, you will not be eligible to apply again until the next application window. No award may be made retroactively.
- If you apply during the appropriate application window, you can expect to receive the stipends within 4-6 weeks from the close of that window.
What if I missed the application window?
- If your application and/or necessary documentation is incomplete by the close of the application window, you will not be eligible for support during the current enrollment term and will not be able to apply for funding until the next application window. You may not request future reimbursement for any past term during which your application was deemed incomplete.
- If you miss any application window because you did not submit an application or were deemed ineligible based on the criteria for eligibility, you cannot apply for support for prior terms/years. Under no circumstances will retroactive applications be accepted, nor will retroactive support be provided.
How will my application be reviewed?
- Your application will be reviewed by Marygrove College staff. We will determine your eligibility for Student Transition Fund support. If you request a Course Replacement Stipend, we will contact your current school to confirm the request is for eligible courses. Once approved, Course Replacement Stipends will be credited to your student account at your current school.
How much support is available?
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 as freshmen, sophomores, or juniors are eligible for total combined stipends up to $4,000 per year. Eligible requests for support over $4,000, but under a cap of $6,500, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This additional amount is available only for support of eligible courses required for your major area of study, taken during the current term that aren’t covered by the standard Course Replacement Stipend amount.
- Students enrolled at Marygrove College for the Fall Term 2017 who are eligible for teach-out support are eligible for Logistical support of up to $2,500 per year. Under certain circumstances, these students may apply for Course Replacement Stipends up to an additional $2,500. Such requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
How am I eligible for transportation and books/supplies stipends?
- All undergraduate students enrolled at Marygrove College as of December 2017 are eligible to apply for a logistical stipend to cover transportation and/or books/supplies. If you apply for either of these stipends and meet the eligibility requirements, you are automatically provided $500 per academic year for each stipend.
How may I use my transportation stipend?
- The transportation stipend is designed to help cover additional transportation costs incurred as a result of you transferring to another school. This can include, but is not limited to, the cost of gas, parking or bus passes.
How may I use my books/supplies stipend?
- The books/supplies stipend is designed to help cover some of the cost for books or supplies. This can include costs for such things as textbooks, work books, and technology equipment (calculators, computers, etc.)
How am I eligible for a housing stipend?
- Students who resided in campus housing at Marygrove College as of December 2017 are eligible to apply for a housing stipend. You do not need to have signed up for on-campus student housing at your current school to be eligible for a housing stipend. Housing stipends are available for up to $1,500 per academic year.
How may I use my housing stipend?
- The housing stipend is designed to help support housing or moving costs incurred as a result of transferring to another school. This can include, but is not limited to, costs to hire movers or to rent a moving truck, payment for on-campus housing at your current school, or rent for off-campus housing.
COURSE REPLACEMENT STIPEND
How am I eligible for a Course Replacement Stipend?
- You are eligible for a Course Replacement Stipend if you were enrolled at Marygrove College as of December 2017 and are not receiving teach-out support from your current school.
- A Course Replacement Stipend is intended to provide some financial support for eligible courses that you may need to take at your current school.
- If you apply for a Course Replacement Stipend, the application form will ask your current school to confirm the eligible courses for which you are applying for support. Only eligible courses for which you are enrolled at the time of application can be counted toward this stipend. An official from your current school must sign the form to verify course eligibility and enrollment.
- Marygrove College will also contact your current school to request additional information, such as a transcript of eligible courses, and proof of successful completion of previous classes.
How may I use my Course Replacement Stipend?
- Your Course Replacement Stipend can only be used to help cover the cost of credit-hours you need to take at your current school for eligible courses. This stipend will be credited to your student account at your current school during the term in which you are taking eligible courses.
What if I change my major?
- A Course Replacement Stipend can only be used in conjunction with the major you declared at Marygrove College. If you change majors after enrolling at your current school or at any subsequent undergraduate school, a Course Replacement Stipend may not be used to pay for Marygrove courses that need to be replaced under your new major.
How will I receive payment?
- Payments for stipends for which you have applied and are determined to be eligible will be made within four to six weeks after the application window closes. If you are deemed ineligible for a stipend, you will be notified within the same timeframe.
- If your application is approved and when your payment is ready, you will receive an email from Marygrove College notifying you that a check is ready to be picked up.
- You may also request that a check be mailed to your address. Please select whether you would like a check mailed to you, or be ready for pick up, on the application form.
- Course Replacement Stipends will be credited directly to your student account at your current school.
How many times can I receive any given stipend?
- You may receive each Logistical Stipend once per academic year (July 1 through June 30). A Course Replacement Stipend can be applied for each academic term as eligible courses are taken, up to the maximum stipend available per academic year. The Student Transition Fund is structured to ensure that as long as students remain on a track to graduate, they are eligible for support for the remainder of their undergraduate tenure or until the funding period has ended for the student.
Are there additional eligibility requirements for a renewal of stipends?
- Every time you apply for a renewal of a Student Transition Fund stipend, you will be required to submit a transcript issued by your current school that shows you were enrolled in, completed, and passed at least a half-time credit load for which you were registered during the semester immediately preceding your application.
- A half-time credit load is defined as at least 50% of the credits required to be considered a full-time student at your current school. For example: if full-time status is defined as 12 credits or above, you must have completed at least 6 credits to meet the half-time credit load requirement.
- If you are unable to submit a transcript, or if your transcript does not demonstrate at least a half-time credit load with passing grades for the semester preceding your application, you will not qualify for any type of stipend during that application window.