Admissions to the Social Work Program at Marygrove College is selective and is granted to those students who demonstrate interest, personal values, academic ability, and the interpersonal skills desirable for successful social work practice. The Bachelor of Social Work Degree represents the first level of professional education for entry into the Social Work Profession.
A student must first be enrolled at Marygrove in order to be accepted into the Program.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS RIGHT HERE.
Create an application account and Apply Online Now
Transferring from another college?
Click here to learn how how we can accommodate your transfer credits.
Undergraduate Admissions Dept.
Madame Cadillac Bldg., Rm. 127
8425 W. McNichols
Detroit, MI 48221
Toll Free: 866.313.1927
9:00 am - 5:00 pm M,T,W,R,F
SAT by appointment
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS:
- Completion of PSY 205 and SOC 201 with a grade of C or better.
- Achievement of a minimum overall grade point average of 2.3 and completion of lower level Developmental studies requirements in Learning Skills.
- Achievement of a C or better in English 108
- Satisfactory completion of SW 312: Introduction to Social Work with a C or better and satisfactory progress in SW 314: Social Welfare Policy (mid-term or semester evaluation).
- You must submit a completed Supplemental Information Form, with a Personal Interest Statement, and two (2) reference letters at least one semester before you plan to enroll in SW 350: Social Work Practice I.
What Happens Next?
Submitted information and materials are carefully reviewed and considered by the Social Work Admissions Sub-Committee and are treated as confidential by both the Social Work Program and the Committee.
You will receive written notification of the Committees decision and reasons for that decision prior to registration for the following term. Upon acceptance into the Program you will be asked to sign a BSW contract outlining your responsibilities as a social work major. Should the Committees evaluation of a BSW applicant reveal that the student does not fulfill admissions criteria, admission to the BSW Program will be denied.
Students denied admission to the Program may re-apply the following term and/or initiate an appeal process for reconsideration within ten (10) days following written notification. To appeal, a student must speak with the Social Work Department Chair who will reconvene the Sub-Committee on Admissions. The student has the right to appear before the Committee to present his or her case or to ask the Committee to review the application. If satisfaction is not reached through this subcommittees review, the student may pursue the grievance through the College-Wide Appeals and Grievance Procedure.
The Social Work Program at Marygrove College does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, family structure, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Further information on the Social Work Program may be obtained in the Social Work Office, Third Floor of the Madame Cadillac Building (MC 345). Admissions packets are available for students.
- Acceptance, once granted can be revoked, due to inappropriate and/or unethical behavior
- The Social Work Program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.