Inquire at Marygrove College
Visit us at Marygrove College
Apply at Marygrove College

Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies (A.A.)
For this degree, you must complete the general education requirements for a Bachelor of Arts degree, except ENG 312 and the Senior Seminar. See listing in the General Education section of the undergraduate catalog. Of the additional hours needed to complete the 64 credit hours required for the degree, no more than 12 may be in one discipline.

Associate of Arts in a Specialized Program (A.A.)
You may earn an Associate of Arts degree by concentrating in one of the following areas: accounting, business, or child development. The requirements for these degrees, including General Education, can be found in the appropriate program section of the undergraduate catalog. Any remaining hours necessary to complete the minimum of 64 credit hours are electives selected by the student with the assistance of an advisor.

Overview of Bachelor (Baccalaureate) Degree Requirements
Marygrove has established general undergraduate degree requirements that apply to all candidates for bachelor (or baccalaureate) degrees. In order to earn a bachelor’s degree at Marygrove, you must meet the following criteria:

Total Credit Hours
Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 128 semester hours of credit in an approved degree program.

Credit Hours in Developmental and Foundational Studies
In order to earn a bachelor’s degree, you must complete all the Developmental/Foundational studies courses in mathematics, learning strategies, and composition that were indicated by your placement test results. Credits in Developmental level courses do not count in your total hours toward your degree.

Only 12 hours of lower division (100-200 level) composition courses, whether transfer or Marygrove credit, may be included in the 128 credit hours needed for a bachelor’s degree. If you have more than 12 hours of lower division composition credits, the surplus hours will count as general college credit beyond the minimum of 128 credits required for a degree.

Only 3 hours of basic algebra may be included in the 128 credit hours needed for the bachelor’s degree. If you have more than 3 algebra credits at a level below Marygrove’s MTH 105, they will count as general college credit beyond the minimum of 128 credits required for a degree.

Total Credit Hours
Candidates for an associate’s degree must complete a minimum of 64 semester hours of credit in an approved degree program.

Credit Hours in Developmental and Foundational Studies
In order to earn an associate’s degree, you must complete all the developmental and foundational study courses in mathematics, learning strategies, and composition that were indicated by your placement test results.

Only 12 hours of lower division (100-200 level) composition courses, whether transfer or Marygrove credit, may be included in the 64 credit hours needed for an associate’s degree. If you have more than 12 hours of lower division composition credits, the surplus will count as general college credit beyond the minimum of 64 required for a degree.

Only 3 hours of basic algebra may be included in the 64 credit hours needed for the associate’s degree. If you have more than 3 algebra credits at a level below Marygrove’s MTH 105, they will count as general college credit beyond the minimum of 64 required for a degree.

General Education Requirements
General Education requirements for each Associate degree are listed in the section of the catalog that outlines your degree requirements.

The 15-Credit Hour Requirement
All candidates for an associate’s degree must complete the final 15 semester hours of degree work at Marygrove College.

Grade Point Average
You must earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (C). In certain programs, additional GPA requirements must be met.

Associate of Arts
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Applied Science
Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of Music
Bachelor of Social Work
Master of Education
Master of Arts
Master in the Art of Teaching

Classification Of Students
Minimal semester-hour requirements for classification of students are as follows: Freshmen/women: Fewer than 32 hours
Sophomores: 32 - 63 hours
Juniors: 64 - 95 hours
Seniors: 96+ hours

Student Course Load
Undergraduate students carrying 12-17 hours per semester during the academic year are considered full-time students.

During the summer session, 6-11 semester hours constitutes full time. If you plan to obtain a bachelor’s degree in four years, you will need to carry the traditional 32 credit hours per year.

A full-time student may register for a maximum of 18 credit hours per semester. A student with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better may petition to register for 19 or 20 credit hours according to the following procedure:

  • You must present the written permission of your advisor to the registrar.
  • You must complete a Special Arrangements Form available from the registrar’s office, with the GPA certified by the registrar.
  • The Registrar will rule on the request.
  • Approved copies of the form will be distributed to the appropriate offices.

You may not register for more than 20 credit hours per term during the academic year. During shortened terms (e.g., the summer session), the credit-hour load you’ll be permitted to carry is determined by and limited to the number of weeks in the session for which you are registered.

Guest Student Status at Another Institution
Before you may apply for approval to take courses as a guest student at another college, you must have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours at Marygrove with a satisfactory grade point average (2.0 minimum). If you have accumulated 64 or more semester hours of credit, you are ineligible for guest status at a two-year institution. Students may take a maximum of 12 credit hours as a guest student. Only courses which are not available at Marygrove for the specific term will be considered for transfer to Marygrove on guest status.

Written approval from your academic advisor and the registrar is required before a guest student application can be processed. Approval forms are available in the registrar’s office. If you take courses without obtaining guest student approval from Marygrove, those credits from another institution may not be accepted at Marygrove.

Students with senior status and post-degree students are not eligible for guest student approval.

Updating of Students in Good Academic Standing
If you are a student in good standing and want to return to Marygrove after an absence of two or more terms, you should apply to the registrar’s office to update your files. To complete the updating process, you will need to pay a $15 fee.

Registering For Graduate-Level Courses
Under the Senior Rule, students with a 2.7 or better GPA are eligible to take courses in the 500 series. These courses may be taken for graduate credit or may be used to complete requirements for the undergraduate degree. However, if the courses are used to complete undergraduate requirements, the same credits may not be used at Marygrove for credit toward a graduate degree. You cannot take graduate level courses at the Consortium Colleges under the Senior Rule. Seniors should contact the Graduate Admissions Office for further information and an application.

Student Records
Marygrove College maintains the confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This act stipulates that college students shall have full access to any and all official records, files, and data, including all material included in their cumulative records folder.

All permanent academic records for matriculated students are kept in the registrar’s office. These records include application, transfer, registration, and transcript materials.

If you wish to review your records, you should send a written request to the registrar. An appointment will be set up for the review within a reasonable time (30 days). According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have the right to view their files but are not allowed to copy them.

Marygrove designates the following student information as public or “directory information:” name, address, telephone number, dates of attendance, class status, previous institutions attended, major field of study, honors, degrees conferred, participation in recognized sports and activities, physical factors, date and place of birth.

This information may be disclosed by the College at its discretion. Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Rights and Privacy Act. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the registrar’s office prior to the end of registration each term. Forms requesting the withholding of “directory information” are available in the registrar’s office. The College assumes that the absence of such a request indicates student approval for disclosure.

Permanent records of your progress are kept in transcript form.

Approximately two weeks are needed to process grades, record them, and prepare records for copy. Therefore, if you need transcripts at the end of a semester, you should wait two weeks after grades are submitted by instructors to request those transcripts.

College transcripts may be requested in person, by mail, or through WebAdvisor. Because your signature is required for release of transcripts, we cannot honor requests made by telephone. The written request should include the name under which you took courses, your address, dates of attendance at Marygrove, your student identification number or social security number and the name and address of the person to whom the transcript should be sent.

Expect a five- to seven-day turnaround time on your transcript requests. Transcripts will not be issued if your financial obligations to the College have not been met. Transcripts for courses taken through the Division of Continuing Education should be requested directly from the Office of Continuing Education.

A 4.0
A- 3.7

Good/Above Average
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7

C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7

Below Average/Passing
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7

E 0.0

AU no honor points assigned

I no honor points assigned

No Record
NR never attended

Official Withdrawal
W no honor points assigned

Unofficial Withdrawal
X 0.0

Y no honor points assigned

You may print an official grade report from the student's menu in WebAdvisor. Grades will be held if you owe a financial balance to the College.

Audit: AU
If you wish to participate in a course without being graded for it, you must obtain written permission from the instructor and register as an auditor. The audit form is available in the Office of the Registrar. The decision to audit a class must be made at the time of registration and a change may not be made from credit to audit or from audit to credit after the course has begun. No grades are assigned for courses that are taken on an audit basis.

The tuition for an audited undergraduate course is $269 per credit hour. Some courses may require a course fee in addition to the audit tuition fee. You cannot receive financial aid for an audited course.

Incomplete Work: I
If you have successfully completed the majority of work in a course but for some serious reason are unable to meet all course requirements or take the final examination, you may petition the instructor for a grade of “I” (incomplete). An Incomplete is given when there is, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that you can complete the course successfully without attending regular class sessions. The responsibility for completing all course work rests entirely with you. The mark of “I” is inappropriate if, in the instructor’s judgment, it will be necessary for you to attend subsequent sessions of the class. If class attendance is necessary, you must register for the course.

The grade of “I” is calculated with no honor points until the instructor officially records a new grade. All work must be completed in time for a new grade to be recorded at the end of the following term. An extension beyond the term immediately following the course can be granted only for a serious reason and will be limited to one calendar year, and must be approved in writing by the course instructor, the Dean of Graduate Studies, and the Registrar before the end of the extension period. If the work is not completed in the time allowed, the “I” will change to an “E” on record with the permanent computation value of 0.0. Each student is permitted a maximum of two incomplete courses a semester. However, any student who has two incomplete courses will not be permitted to register for subsequent terms until the work from at least one of the classes is completed

No Record: NR
An “NR” is a non-punitive mark assigned if a student’s name appears on the professor sheet, but the instructor has no record of the student attending class. An “NR” is recorded on the transcript but is not computed in the grade point average.

Official Withdrawal From A Course Or From The College: W
If you feel you are unable to complete a course but the add/drop period has already passed, you must officially withdraw from the class. You can withdraw through the twelfth week of class (or up to 80 percent of the class if it’s shorter than 15 weeks). In order to withdraw, you need to get a form from the registrar’s office, complete and return it as indicated, and pay the withdrawal fee in the business office.

The mark of “W” is assigned when you withdraw from a course in accordance with College policy. If you withdraw not just from a course but from the College during the academic year, you must schedule an exit interview with the director of academic advising and career services. Your official date of withdrawal from the college will be the date on which you have your interview. Tuition charges for withdrawal from a class or from the College will be assessed based on the date of your official withdrawal.

See the Financial Information section of this catalog.

If you withdraw, you will have to relinquish your student ID card at the time of the exit interview. Until we receive this card, no fees can be refunded nor will grades or transcripts be issued for you.

Unofficial Withdrawal: X
An “X” is assigned if a registered student unofficially withdraws without completing enough course work to determine a grade. An unofficial withdrawal occurs when a student stops attending a class but fails to submit the paperwork for an official withdrawal. An “X” is computed into the semester and cumulative grade point averages with 0.0 honor points. An “X” remains on the transcript with the permanent value of an “E” grade. The College cannot give any refunds or cancel fees if you unofficially withdraw.

Grade Deferred: Y
The mark of “Y” is assigned when the student is up-to-date in the work of a course planned to continue beyond the semester (i.e., senior seminar course requiring a master’s project). The grade of “Y” may only be used in certain designated courses or if a student is called to active military duty.

If you wish to change your original registration, you must fill out an add/drop form which may be picked up in the registrar’s office. The add/drop period extends for the first calendar week of each Fall and Winter semester. During the Spring/Summer sessions, you may add or drop a course no later than the beginning of the second class session.

You will have to pay a $10.00 fee for processing a student-initiated change of program during the official add/drop period. A $10.00 fee will be assessed also for each course adjustment after the add/drop period, including course withdrawals.

Repeated Course Work
You may repeat a course in which you received a grade below “C” if you wish to raise the mark. Each attempt at the course will show on your transcript, but the highest grade received will be used in computing your grade point average.

Course Prerequisites Courses often have prerequisites or requirements that must be met before a class can be taken. A prerequisite might take the form of a lower-level course or it might be an audition or the permission of the instructor teaching the course you’d like to take. If you don’t have the stated prerequisites for the course, you can’t register for it.

A course with no prerequisites indicates that no previous college-level courses are required to take the class. However, in your Marygrove courses, we presume that you will be able to perform competently in reading, composition, and math.

Course Numbering System
The first digit of a course number indicates the level of the content and gives you an idea of the type and difficulty of the course.

001-099: Courses in developmental studies which are not included among the total number of hours required for a degree.

100-199: Introductory or foundation level courses which insure basic competencies, or teach the principles and methodology of a discipline.

200-299: Intermediate-level courses which continue to develop a skill or give broad background or general experience to both majors and non-majors.

300-399: Advanced level courses demanding understanding of principles and methodology in an area of study or discipline.

400-499: Specialized courses intended primarily for majors and minors in the field.

Marygrove College considers attendance at every class session an important component of success in your undergraduate education. See your class syllabus for specific class attendance policies.

Credit for all courses at Marygrove is expressed in semester hours. In addition to the traditional course-work method of attaining credit, you may acquire credit through tutorial instruction, through independent study or through credit for prior learning. For more information on these methods, see the Academic Options section of the undergraduate catalog.

Recognizing that learning derived from life experiences and from individual study is of significant academic value and can often be equated with college-level studies, Marygrove College provides the following options for validating and measuring such learning:

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The College Entrance Examination Board provides standardized examinations covering 35 areas of college-level study. Credits awarded for successful achievement on the General and Subject Examinations of CLEP may be applied toward an undergraduate degree. For registration materials, fees, and information on how these examinations relate to individual Marygrove courses, contact your divisional dean.

Other Standardized Examinations
In addition to CLEP, Marygrove College will also consider scores earned on other standardized exams and certification tests prepared by professional associations.

Marygrove Examinations
Entering students who feel that they have already mastered the content of a particular course listed in the catalog may apply for credit by departmental examination. Credit by examination allows you to fulfill course requirements without attending any classes or without regular meetings with an instructor. It may be used for courses listed in the catalog if the objectives in a course can be identified clearly enough so that an instrument can be devised to measure whether you know as much as you would have learned in a combination of classes, daily assignments, tests, and a final examination. It is understood, therefore, that the examination in this system must be much more extensive and intensive than the ordinary final examination given at the end of the course. By the same token, the work involved in preparing for this comprehensive examination must equal the time and effort put into attendance at class, daily preparation, and preparation for all other tests.

Through successful achievement on such an examination, you will acquire the number of credit hours which that course carries. Marygrove Examinations may only be taken once and evaluation of prior learning by Marygrove Examination must take place during your first semester at Marygrove. You will be assessed the appropriate fee by the Financial Services Department.

Assessment of Prior Learning by Portfolio
Students who have acquired college-level learning outside an academic context, e.g., on-the-job training, private study, or actual work experience, may obtain credit in certain departments of the College by documenting their achievements in portfolio form. The transferability of credits earned by portfolio assessment depends on the policy of the accepting institution.
In no instance will credit for portfolio assessment be awarded for course work that duplicates what has been previously noted on your college transcript or for course work more elementary than that which has been successfully completed and passed. In other words, if you have passed a course at an intermediate or upper level, you cannot then get credit through portfolio assessment for a lower-level course in the same area.
A maximum of 32 semester hours of credit for the above-mentioned methods of prior learning may be earned by students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program.
For students pursuing an associate degree, a maximum of 16 credits of prior learning may apply to the degree. For complete information on policies, procedures, and fees for prior learning assessment, contact your divisional dean.

Advanced Placement Program
Marygrove participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Students completing Advanced Placement Examinations with grades of three or higher will be granted credit. This program makes it possible for superior high school seniors to take one or more college-level courses for credit while completing the final year of the regular four-year high school course.

Post-Degree Study
If you have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, you may continue to take undergraduate courses as a post-degree student.

Second Degree
A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree at Marygrove or at any other institution may qualify for a second baccalaureate degree. It must be a different degree from the original, e.g., a student holding a B.A. may earn a B.S., B.M., B.S.W., or B.F.A. You must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit beyond those required for the first degree in a different area of study and must fulfill all general College as well as major requirements in the new degree area.

Second Major
A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution may enroll as a post-degree student and complete the requirements to earn an additional major in a different field.

The tutorial is a method of earning credit without regular class attendance. It implies, however, that you will have regularly scheduled conferences with a professor. The time given to these conferences should be not less than one hour a week for a four-credit-hour class. Because you are excused from the bulk of class attendance, you will be required to do much more outside work than in an ordinary course, but in the end you should fulfill essentially the same requirements. This method of attaining credit is restricted to regularly scheduled courses. Your credit will bear the catalog number of the course for which you are taking the tutorial.
Independent study is a method of earning credit for matter not listed in the catalog. An independent study may enrich and deepen a regular course in some specific and describable way, or it may be a research project in an area not directly connected with a course. Independent study is intended for strong students who want to do something extra. It cannot be a method for solving scheduling difficulties. An independent study bears the number 291 or 491. A descriptive title for the study should be included on the application form