You will be interested in a French minor if you want to teach or work in a multicultural environment. A French minor can also prepare you for graduate school in many fields.

You will be interested in a French Translation Certificate if you have advanced French proficiency and plan to pursue a translation career. This curriculum will prepare you for the American Translators Association (ATA) certificate exam. You can also pursue this certificate if you wish to communicate more effectively in a multilingual work environment.

Areas of Concentration

  • Minor in French
  • Translation Certificate in French
  • Elementary Teacher Certification
  • Secondary Teacher Certification

Potential Careers:

Teacher, Translator Study Abroad Advisor Bilingual Assistant Customer Representative Court & School Mediator Foreign Service Worker Technical or Media Writer Editor Proofreader Court Reporter Research Analyst Consultant Health Care Representative/Patient Advocate Personal Banker Manager Linguist


  1. FRE 150 and FRE 151 can be used to fulfill general education requirements. Credit earned for FRE 150 and 151 cannot be applied toward a French minor.
  2. Advanced Placement and CLEP credit in French can be applied toward the elective hours needed to complete a minor. You can receive up to 12 hours of credit. A language proficiency exam is required to be placed in courses FRE 250 and above; this is administered by the Program Director.
  3. If you are placed into FRE 350 Advanced Grammar and Composition, you must still complete the 20 credits required for a minor in French; you will not receive credit for FRE 250 or FRE 251.
  4. French 300- and 400-level courses are taught online.
  5. First-hand Language Experience. You will find that you will get the most out of your language program if you take every opportunity to speak French and to immerse yourself in French-speaking cultures. You can earn French credit while studying overseas through Marygroves Study Abroad program. Work and volunteer abroad opportunities, summer jobs, and work/study placements can also put you in touch with French speaking people. To earn a French minor, you are encouraged to participate in an approved study abroad program in a French-speaking country, or approved equivalent.


Contact Us

Contact us header border arrow
  • Name

    Lourdes I. Torres, Ph.D.
  • Address

    Madame Cadillac Building, Room 263
  • Direct

    (313) 927-1363
  • Email

Financial Aid Available

Learn More