Consumer Information


In accordance with federal regulations set forth by The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, below is a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at Marygrove College. Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained. If you need assistance obtaining information listed or you would like a paper copy, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Financial Aid Information

General information about Marygrove College

Safety and Security



Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fee information can be found at

> top of page

Financial Aid Options Available To Students

Financial aid comes in the form of Federal loans.

> top of page

Applying for Financial Aid

The financial aid process for Marygrove College can be found at

> top of page

How and When Financial Aid Will Be Disbursed

Method and Frequency of Disbursements
Financial Aid is disbursed your student account in different ways depending on the type of aid and other factors. The earliest date that aid is disbursed is the Friday following the end of the add/drop period for the semester.

Thereafter, aid will be disbursed:

  • After the student has responded to all requests for additional information;
  • When the student is enrolled in the number of credits for which aid was awarded;
  • When all required Master Promissory Notes (MPN) have been completed for Direct Loans;
  • When all funds for Private awards are received by MGC

Financial aid awards will require adjustment if you are not enrolled for the number of credits for which your aid was awarded.

Loans administered by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) are first applied directly to your MGC student account to pay charges for tuition, fees, book card, insurance, and other MGC charges.

Students whose financial aid exceeds the charges on their MGC account will have a credit and will receive a refund. This refund will be mailed to your current address as listed in your MGC record within 14 days after the credit appears on your MGC account.

Private Scholarship Checks
If you are awarded a private scholarship check and it is sent directly to MGC, it will be applied directly to your MGC account after all terms and conditions of the scholarship are met. The donor will be contacted if there is a need for additional information. The funds will be applied one half for the Fall semester and one half for the Winter semester unless otherwise specified by the donor.

If the scholarship check is sent directly to you but is made out to MGC you should take or send it to the MGC Business Office for processing.

If the scholarship check is sent directly to you and is made co-payable to you and MGC, endorse the check and take or send it to the MGC Business Office.

If the scholarship is made payable to you only, it is your responsibility to report this resource to the OSFA.

> top of page

Terms and conditions under which students receive Direct Loans

This information can be found at

> top of page

Loan Repayment

This information can be found at

> top of page

Exit Loan Counseling

This information can be found at

> top of page

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

This information can be found at

Federal Title IV regulations mandate the establishment and enforcement of a satisfactory academic progress (SAP) policy. Failure to maintain SAP requires the student receive financial aid on a probationary basis or that financial aid eligibility be cancelled all together until SAP as defined by the Office of Financial Aid is met. Students have the right to appeal their status if they have mitigating circumstances they believe prevented them from maintaining or achieving SAP. Students are notified when they are not meeting SAP and told what they must do for continued aid eligibility. Graduate students are considered to be making SAP and are financial aid eligible if they:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00
  • Complete 67% of cumulative credit hours attempted
  • Are in good academic standing with Marygrove College

Students who consistently fail to meet this standard may jeopardize their eligibility for financial aid, including student loans.. The Office of Financial Aid  will notify you when your eligibility for financial aid is in jeopardy. The notification will include what you must do to regain eligibility or avoid losing eligibility.

The Office of Financial Aid SAP policy may differ from that of Marygrove College. While a student may be considered in "good standing" with Marygrove College, they may not necessarily be making Financial Aid SAP.

> top of page

Withdrawal/Refund Policy

If you cannot complete a course or if you cannot attend any courses for which you registered, you must withdrawal ("drop") officially from the class or from the College.

The date on which the Registrar’s Office receives and signs the withdrawal request will be the official date of withdrawal and will determine the amount of any adjustment of tuition; fees and financial aid after classes have begun.

All refunds will first be applied to any indebtedness which you may have with the College.

If you need to withdraw from one or more classes, you must obtain a withdrawal form from the Registrar’s Office or Enrollment Center.

If you need to withdraw from all classes for the semester, you must contact the Office of Academic Advising and Career Services to complete a "Withdrawal from College" form.

If you withdraw from the College and are the recipient of Title IV funds, they will be subject to the prorated calculations for determining the refund.

The College will use the following table to determine your refundable tuition and fees.

10 - 15 Week Classes
First Week: 100%
Second Week: 50%
Third Week: 25%
Fourth Week or after: 0%

5 - 9 Week Classes
First Week: 80%
Second Week: 35%
Third Week: 0%
Fourth Week: 0%

1 - 4 Week Classes
First Week: 75%
Second Week: 25%
Third Week: 0%
Fourth Week or after: 0%

Refunds are calculated on the basis of the number of class sessions scheduled to be completed at the time of the withdrawal, not the number of class sessions attended by the student.

If you do not officially drop your classes within the specified add/drop period or withdraw before the des¬ignated deadlines (see Academic Calendar), you are responsible for full tuition and fees for these courses.

top of page

Obtaining Deferments

Students eligible for financial aid loans from federal sources can defer tuition payments based upon acceptance and receipt of these awards. If, for any reason, these awards are not forthcoming within a reasonable length of time, the full balance of tuition and fees is due and payable upon the demand of the College. Should it be necessary to place a delinquent account with a collection agency, all fees — including reasonable attorney fees — become the responsibility of the student.

Tuition and fees are payable in full by the last day of the add/drop period (see tuition due dates below). For students pre-registering for classes, statements will be mailed to their permanent address approximately 4-6 weeks before classes begin. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain their permanent address with the Registrar’s Office. All e-mail communication will go to the student’s Marygrove e-mail address only.

Students MUST pay for the entire cost of the semester by the end of the first week of classes (See Tuition Due Dates). Upon registering for each term, students must enter into a Tuition Management System (TMS) payment plan for any tuition or fee not covered by financial aid. If you intend to spread payments out over the semester, these payment options involve additional charges and fees.

> top of page


Student Loan Ombudsman

If you are in dispute about your federal student loan, contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group as a last resort. The Ombudsman Group is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) Program loans, Guaranteed Student Loans, and Perkins Loans.

For online assistance:

By telephone:  877-577-2575 (Use to initiate a case).

By fax:   202-275-0549

By mail:
U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
830 First Street N.E., Mail Stop 5144
Washington, D.C.  20202-5144

Contact Information

Financial Services (Billing, Payments and Collections)
Phone: (313) 927-1227
Fax: (313) 927-1533

Isis Taylor-Thompkins, Assistant Controller, Financial Services

Ayana M. Boyer
Bursar/Student Fund Transition Coordinator

> top of page


Student Payment Policy

Following the final day of registration (end of add/drop period), all Marygrove students are required to maintain a zero balance on their student account or have met all agreed-upon payment arrangements. Those who have not met these criteria will be deemed to be in default. Students who have enrolled in courses but have not paid in full or made payment arrangements by the payment deadline (i.e., those in default) will be notified by the College that they will be administratively withdrawn from courses. The payment deadline is six business days prior to the first day of each term. Students who have not made satisfactory arrangements by the end of the final day of registration will be administratively withdrawn (dropped) from their courses.

Students who are administratively withdrawn from their courses may not attend classes and must follow the normal add/drop policies to be re-registered into courses. This requires obtaining the instructor’s and advisor’s signatures for open courses that have met or are closed, and the advisor’s signature for open courses during the add/drop week. Please note that a late registration fee will be also assessed for those re-registering.

In addition to a $100 deferred payment charge, any student at any time in default will not be allowed to register for classes, receive academic transcripts, have academic credits certified, or receive a diploma at graduation.  Any student in default may also be subject to withdrawal from the College and their student account being referred to a collection agency.

top of page

General Data Protection Requirement (GDPR)

What is GDPR? GDPR, General Data Protection Requirement, is a regulation that imposes new obligations on entities that control or process personal data on citizens of European Union member nations and students who attend schools in European Union nations regardless of their country of origin. It also applies both inside the European Union (“EU”) and outside of the EU and applies to data about anyone in the EU, regardless of whether they are a citizen or permanent resident of an EU country. The regulation is much broader in scope than education; it covers most forms of commerce.

The policy set forth by Marygrove College pertains to education. As noted by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the GDPR requires that processing of Personal Data be done in accordance with a legal basis. The bases are:

  1. Consent
  2. Processing necessary for the performance of a contract.
  3. Processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation
  4. Processing necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person; and
  5. Processing necessary for the legitimate interests of the controller.

It is important to note that consent may be revoked by the data subject.

Marygrove College has and will remain committed to safeguarding the privacy of “personal data” for past, present and future students. “Personal data” is defined as any record created in the EU and transferred to Marygrove College which is directly related to an identified or identifiable student, either directly or indirectly. Examples of “personal data” include, but are not limited to, directory information as defined in Marygrove College’s FERPA Policy. If you have questions about your data please contact the Registrar’s Office at We collect your information to manage your registrations in courses and your educational achievements, grades, GPA, and degrees you have earned to maintain your academic record for you. This benefits you when you need this information as proof of your educational accomplishments.

Information collected from students is shared with internal and external parties to: register or enroll persons in the College, manage student accounts, provide academic advising, develop and deliver education programs, track academic progress, analyze and improve education programs, make regulatory reports, audit, maintain accreditation, and other related College processes and functions. Marygrove College Departments supporting students also use Information and Sensitive Information to conduct general demographic and statistical research to improve the College’s programs.

In addition, your details may be used to contact you with up to date information about other course offering we have that you may wish to take advantage of. None of these details are processed without your consent. In the past consent had been construed as given through the registration process you initiated. In the future EU students consent will be required with every registration or request for printed transcripts which contain your academic data.

Sensitive Information is collected, processed, and shared internally and externally as necessary, applicable, and appropriate in order to: identify appropriate support services or activities, provide reasonable accommodations, enforce College policies, and comply with applicable laws.

Third Party Use of Sensitive Information
Marygrove may disclose a student’s Sensitive Information and other Information as follows:

  • Consent: Marygrove College may disclose Sensitive Information and other Information if it has a student’s consent to do so.
  • Emergency Circumstances: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information and Sensitive Information when necessary to protect the student’s interests when the student is physically or legally incapable of providing consent.
  • Employment Necessity: Marygrove College may share a student’s Sensitive Information when necessary for administering employment benefits, subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
  • Public Information: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information and Sensitive Information if the student has manifestly made it public
  • Archiving: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information and Sensitive Information for archiving purposes in the public interest, for historical research, and for statistical purposes.
  • Performance of a Contract: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information when necessary to administer a contract the student has with the College.
  • Legal Obligation: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information when the disclosure is required or permitted by international, federal, and state laws and/or regulations.
  • Service Providers: Marygrove College uses third parties who have entered into a contract with the College to support the administration of College operations and policies. In such cases, the College will share a student’s Information with such third parties subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
  • College-Affiliated Programs: Marygrove College may share a student’s Information with parties that are affiliated with the College for the purpose of contacting the student about goods, services, or experiences that may be of interest to the student.
  • De-Identified and Aggregate Information: Marygrove College may use and disclosure Information in de-identified or aggregate form without limitation.

Once an EU applicant becomes a student, communication with Marygrove College must be made through the Marygrove e-mail system. This is for additional security of your records. Your user id and password are your means to access the College e-mail system.

If you wish to change your communication preferences, you can do this at any time by notifying us in writing and faxing the request, which must be dated and signed by you, to the Registrar’s Office at (313) 927-1262.

You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, though please note that if you withdraw your consent prior to the conclusion of your current classes, this may impact our ability to process your class data, which may result in the non-successful completion of your classes. You may also miss out on any changes relating to your academic class requirements or academic program.

Marygrove College maintains your records in our highly secure database, Colleague, your class participation in Blackboard, and written communication in our IDoc imaging system through appropriate technical controls. You can electronically access your personal and academic data through WebAdvisor. To access your information, you are required to sign in using your personal user id and password. No one else has access to your user id and password, unless you personally have shared it.

The Data Controller, under the GDPR law and with particular reference to the safety obligations related to automatic processing of student data, is Marygrove College. All data will be processed by Marygrove College in its capacity as Data Controller.

All data for you, past and present, from May 25, 2018, forward, will be retained solely within the Marygrove academic data systems. Only you can authorize the release of your data. Release of this data is usually in the form of a transcript. A written request, which must be dated and signed by you, or an electronic request through our secure website, which requires access by you using your user id and password, is required. Access using your user id and password is interpreted as consent just as though you had submitted the request in writing.

A student’s Information will be retained by the College in accordance with applicable federal laws and the College’s Record Retention Policy. A student’s Information will be destroyed upon the student’s request unless applicable law requires destruction after the expiration of an applicable retention period. The manner of destruction shall be appropriate to preserve and ensure the confidentiality of the student’s information given the level of sensitivity, value, and criticality to the College. Your academic record is retained on a permanent basis.

If you supply additional information as part of your registration (such as special requirements for any disability you may have, for example, a computer for the visually impaired, or disabled parking access), we will remove this information when you notify us it is no longer necessary.

You can change your privacy and consent notifying us in writing or we can send you a form to help you in this process. This will require your signature and it must be dated by you. If you have any questions or concerns about your data, please contact; if we are not able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you have the right to apply to the Chief Academic Officer at

Students have the right to request access to, a copy of, rectification of, restriction in the use of, or erasure of Information in accordance with all applicable laws. The erasure of a student’s Information shall be subject to the retention periods of applicable federal law and the College’s Record Retention Policy.

If the student has provided consent to the use of his/her Information, the student has the right to withdraw consent without affecting the lawfulness of the College’s use of the Information prior to receipt of the request. Students may exercise these rights by contacting the Registrar.

Information created in the EU will be transferred out of the EU to the College. If a student feels the College has not complied with applicable foreign laws regulating such Information, the student has the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in the EU.

You have the right to complain through the student complaints portal:

There is no statutory or contractual requirement to provide your personal data to us; we are processing it with your consent, in order to manage your registrations and academic record.

We will not use your personal data for automated decision making or profiling about you as an individual. Once a student graduates, Information is transferred to the Alumni Office database. Please see the Alumni webpage for this Information management policy.

top of page

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution.) These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days after the day the Marygrove College receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the [School] in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the [School] who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the [School].
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the [School] to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

[NOTE: In addition, a school may want to include its directory information public notice, as required by §99.37 of the regulations, with its annual notification of rights under FERPA.]

[Optional] See the list below of the disclosures that postsecondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student —

  • To other school officials, including teachers, within the [School] whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in §99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (§99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34. (§99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. ((§99.31(a)(7)
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36. (§99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under §99.37. (§99.31(a)(11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))
  • Marygrove College designates the following student information as public or “directory information:” name, address, telephone number, dates of attendance, class status, previous institutions attended, major field of study, honors, degrees conferred, participation in recognized sports and activities, physical factors, date and place of birth.


> top of page


Marygrove College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), the largest of six regional associations, recognized by the United States Department of Education.

For current accreditation information, please visit

> top of page

Academic programs

Information on the graduate degrees and certificates offered at Marygrove College can be found in the Academics section of our website.

> top of page

Instructional Facilities and Labs

Marygrove College provides instruction to students in physical classrooms, smart classrooms and computer labs in the Liberal Arts Building on campus as well as online with tools such as its Learning Management System, Student Information System and Office 365. Additional information can be found on the Information Technology support site at

> top of page

Faculty and Staff

A directory of faculty and staff can be found on our website by clicking on Directory at the bottom of this page or by clicking here.

> top of page

Transferring Credits from another institution

You can begin the process of joining other transfer students by completing a few simple steps.

First, request that an official transcript be sent to Marygrove College, Office of Admissions, from each college or university you have attended. If you have earned fewer than 24 semester credits, a high school transcript is also required.

For admission to Marygrove, your college transcripts must show a minimum of a C (2.0) or better cumulative grade point average. Most of our transfer students excel in their studies and qualify for academic scholarships at Marygrove. However, students who have been academically dismissed from other academic institutions may not be considered eligible for admission to Marygrove College.

If you attended a community college and do not have an associate’s degree, you may need to submit proof of your high school graduation (i.e., diploma, transcript of GED scores) to be eligible for financial aid.
Generally, Marygrove will accept college level courses from accredited institutions on transfer if you achieved a C (2.0 grade point average) or better grade in the course and if the classes are comparable to course offerings and programs of study offered at Marygrove.

You need to be certain you have included all colleges attended on your application. Any college or institution not listed on the application at the time of admission will not be considered for transfer credit later.

NOTE: Failure to disclose all colleges/universities attended may result in immediate disqualification from admissions process.

There are some differences in the number of transfer credits that Marygrove will accept depending on the kind of institution previously attended. If you attended only two-year colleges (community colleges), you may transfer a maximum of 64 total semester hours of credit. If you have attended only four-year colleges or universities, you may transfer a maximum of 98 semester hours of credit, but the maximum number of transferable lower division credit hours (100 or 200 level or their equivalent) is 84.

If you have attended both two-year and four-year institutions, you may transfer a maximum of 98 semester hours of credit from all institutions attended. A maximum of 84 credit hours of lower division courses will be accepted and a maximum of 64 credits will be accepted from the two-year institutions.

Once you are accepted and enrolled at Marygrove, you will need to complete at least 30 semester hours of credit at Marygrove. Of the 128 credit hours needed for graduation, at least 36 must be upper- level courses (300 or 400). You will also need to fulfill the other requirements for a bachelor’s degree.

Interested students can obtain general education and academic program transfer guides from the College and/or Marygrove Admissions Department.

> top of page


Facilities and Services Available to Disabled Students


  • Accessible entrances (ramps and push button doors openers)
  • Chair lifts
  • Accessible restrooms


  • Disability Coordinator – establishes accommodations and serves as a liaison between the student and faculty.
  • Classroom accommodations (preferred seating, enlarged course documents, modified workstations)
  • Testing accommodations (extended time, and private, non distracting environments)
  • Other academic accommodations (readers, scribers, note-takers, audio textbooks and players, CCTV monitor, Kurzweil text-to-speech unit, JAWS screen reader, OpenBook text-to-speech software and other adaptive technology)

For more information, please contact
Dr. Denise Powell, .

> top of page

Crime Statistics and Security Policies

At Marygrove, the only thing more important than your education is your safety. We are blessed with a peaceful, beautiful, and friendly campus — and we take every precaution to keep it that way. The Campus Safety Office, located in the Liberal Arts Building, handles all safety and security issues, from crime/injury/accident reporting to lost and found and parking stickers.  For an outline of criminal offenses on campus or for more information, visit the campus safety page.

> top of page


Copyright Infringement

It is the intent of Marygrove College Library that all members of the college community adhere to the provisions of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, United States Code, Sect. 101, et seq.). The following policy statements and guidelines constitute a manual for anyone at the College who wishes to reproduce works that are protected by copyright, or anyone wishing to place protected works on reserve in the library. Since copyright protection applies to a variety of creative works - printed materials, sound recordings, video recordings, visual artworks, computer software, and others - the manual has been constructed to address issues related to particular types of media.

Members of the Marygrove College community who willfully disregard the copyright policy do so at their own risk and assume all liability.

> top of page

Academic Dishonesty

Marygrove College maintains standards of academic excellence. The faculty and administration expect that students will conduct themselves with honor in their academic work. Marygrove does not tolerate any form of academic dishonesty, plagiarism or cheating. Students will be held accountable for any form of academic misconduct under the terms that appear below. Plagiarism means to present the ideas, words or images of someone else as one’s own. It is a general term that covers a number of serious academic problems, such as:

  • claiming authorship of a partial or complete paper or assignment that someone else
    has written;
  • failing to cite the words, ideas, or images of a source used within an assignment
  • patch writing; integrating words or sentences from a source into one’s own prose without appropriate indication (quotation marks or spacing) and/or documentation; downloading material from the Internet and pasting it into an assignment as if it were original work;
  • procuring a paper from an on-line service or an individual and submitting it as one’s own;
  • misrepresenting in any way the extent of one’s use of others’ ideas, words or images.

Academic cheating is closely related to plagiarism. Cheating includes copying from another student’s examination or assignment, submitting work of another student as one’s own, submitting the same work in more thatn one course without the approval of the instructors, and intentionally violating the rules governing a course and the institution for one’s own benefit. Penalties Depending on the severity of the case of plagiarism or cheating, one or more of the following penalties may be imposed.

    1. The student may lose all credit for the assignment in question.
    2. The student maybe placed on academic probation for one term.
    3. The student may fail the course.
    4. The student be dismissed from the College.

      Repeated incidents of academic dishonesty are likely to result in dismissal from the College.

In cases of plagiarism or cheating at Marygrove:

  1. At the time of the offense is discovered, the faculty member will make copies of all evidence of academic dishonesty and fill out the “Notification of Academic Dishonesty” form.
  2. The faculty member will then contact the student to discuss the situation and to review the form, the evidence, and the recommended penalty.
  3. The faculty member will then submit the “Notification of Academic Dishonesty” form to the Academic Affairs Office (with evidence attached and notation of “confidential”) with the faculty member’s recommendation of penalties. It remains on file in the office of the Academic Affairs Office for a period of seven years or until the student graduates, whichever comes first.
  4. In cases involving penalties of a failing grade on the assignment or academic probation, the student will be notified in writing, registered mail, by the instructor. The Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management or his/her designee will be notified by the Academic Affairs Office.

In cases involving penalties of failing a course or expulsion from the College, the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) will schedule a consultation with the student and the instructor(s) involved. The Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs or his/her designee may be requested by the student, faculty member or CAO to be present as an objective observer at any such conferences. The student will also be informed of this decision by mail.

If the Academic Affairs Office receives two notifications of academic dishonesty for the same student, a consultation will be scheduled with the student, the CAO, and the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management or his/her designee and serious academic consequences will be assigned.

The student has the right to request an appeal at any stage of these processes through the regular academic appeal procedure that appears in the Marygrove College Course Catalog.

> top of page

Student Complaints

Marygrove College provides its students with the opportunity to file complaints directly to the College regarding Academic, Advising, Business Office, Campus Life, Financial, and Financial Aid. A Student Complaint Form is available for that purpose and you will receive a prompt reply to your complaint. Directions on how to use this link can be found on the link ‘Complaint Portal Instructions’.

> top of page

Student Complaint Contact Information by State

In accordance with requirements issued by the U.S. Department of Education, Marygrove College is “providing its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its state approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student’s complaint.” This information is now part of the standard Consumer Information and annual disclosure procedure of Marygrove College.

Click on the link below, then locate and click on the Student Complaint Process by State in the reports from Survey Date section.

In addition for your convenience, we are providing a direct link to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs to submit a complaint to the State of Michigan.

> top of page

Student Handbook

Student handbook information can be found here.

> top of page

 Graduate Leave of Absence Policy

Student Leave of Absence Policy for
Marygrove College Graduate Degree Students


Marygrove College has a six year graduate degree completion requirement.  A student in a Master’s Degree program may request a temporary Leave of Absence when life events make continued participation in the degree program especially difficult or impossible for a time. An approved Student Leave of Absence allows a student to not register during a fall, winter or summer term and yet remain in compliance with College enrollment requirements. An approved Leave of Absence suspends progress toward the degree for a minimum of one Fall, Winter or Summer term.  The six-year graduate degree completion requirement may be extended by the amount of time for which a Student Leave of Absence is approved.

A Leave of Absence may have implications for financial aid and loans. Students needing a Leave of Absence must consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how a Leave will affect their aid and eligibility to defer loan repayment. Students who are eligible for a Emergency Leave of Absencemust consult with the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible to determine how the Leave affects their aid and eligibility to defer loan repayment, see Emergency Leave of Absence, below.

When a Leave is requested and approved between terms, tuition and fees are not charged for the duration of time the student is on the Leave. When a Leave is requested on an emergency basis and approved, tuition and fees for the current term still apply but will not be charged for the duration of future terms the student is on approved Leave. See Emergency Leave of Absence,below.

A student considering a Leave of Absence is required to discuss the potential impact on his/her plan of study with the Faculty Program Coordinator or Department Chair to develop a strategy for completing the degree program. For example, the student and faculty member may need to plan for return from a Leave of Absence with a special change in the Plan of Work, which may or may not provide for continuous enrollment due to course availability.

When considering a Leave of Absence, the student should also discuss alternatives to a Leave with the Faculty Program Coordinator and/or current course instructors. See Alternatives to a Leave of Absence, below.

Students on Leave have access to limited services that allow them to remain current in their studies and connected to their programs. Students on Leave do not have the benefits of registered status, however, and may not be able to use College facilities or services available to registered students. For example, students on approved Leaves may not use the services of faculty or administrative staff unless planning the transition back to registered status.

Types of Student Leave of Absence

There are four types of graduate student Leaves of Absence at Marygrove College:

  • Leave of Absence for Medical Reasons
  • Leave of Absence for Dependent or Family Care
  • Leave of Absence for Military Service
  • Leave of Absence for Personal Reasons

Any of these may be begun, when circumstances warrant, on the basis of an Emergency Leave of Absence. See Emergency Leave of Absence,below.

Leave of Absence for Medical Reasons

A Leave of Absence for medical reasons will be granted for a serious physical or mental health condition that prevents continued participation in the program. Approval for Medical Leave requires a written request from the student; written recommendation from a health care provider must also be provided. Medical Leave can be requested for up to two consecutive fall or winter terms, or 12 consecutive months. The application process for an Extension is the same as the initial request; see above. The student may submit a written request for an extension of an additional 12 months, with a maximum of 24 months total from the beginning date of the original Medical Leave. A request for extension of a medical leave must have written recommendation from a health care provider attached. For some medical circumstances students should consider whether a within-term accommodation is  more appropriate, see Alternatives to a Leave of Absence below.

Leave of Absence for Dependent or Family Care

A student may need to step away from study for one term or more to take care of dependents or other family members. A student will be granted a Leave of Absence for Dependent or Family Care to:

  • provide care for a dependent incapable of self-care because of age or disability,
  • take care of a serious circumstance that directly affects a family member, such as a serious health condition,  serious housing or financial difficulty, other critical life situation or death.

A “dependent” is defined as a biological, adopted or foster child, stepchild, or legal ward who is under 18 years old, a family member (as defined above) older than 18 years and unable to provide self-care, or a spouse or domestic partner.

“Family” is defined to include the student’s spouse or domestic partner with whom the student shares living accommodations and expenses, and, without regard to their place of residence, the child, sibling, parent, grandparent or other related family member whose primary care is the responsibility of the student.

The reasons necessitating a Leave of Absence for Dependent or Family Care must be explained in writing in the request for an approved Leave. A graduate student can request this type of Leave for up to two consecutive fall or winter terms, or 12 consecutive months, and may request an extension of up to an additional 12 months, or a maximum Leave of 24 months.

Leave of Absence for Military Service

A student will be granted a Leave of Absence for the duration of a military service obligation to her/his country of citizenship. When applying for this type of Leave, the student must provide documentation confirming induction or authorization for active duty. The duration of a Leave of Absence for Military Service is unlimited.

Leave of Absence for Personal Reasons

After completing at least one full term in a Master’s Degree program, if a serious personal situation arises a student may request a one-term Leave of Absence for personal reasons. The student should request this Leave before the beginning of the term for which this Leave is requested.

A student considering a personal Leave is encouraged to discuss other possible arrangements with his/her advisor, Faculty Program Coordinator or Department Chair. Alternative strategies may help the student to continue in the program with the benefits of enrolled status. When requesting a Leave of Absence for Personal Reasons a student may describe the reasons in general terms. If needed, the student may request an extension of one consecutive additional term to the original Leave of Absence for Personal Reasons.

Leave of Absence Begun On An Emergency Basis

Emergency situations may require a student to begin a Leave of Absence in the middle of a term. In these circumstances, the affected student should contact his/her Faculty Program Coordinator, Chair or the Registrar’s Office in writing to withdraw her/his registration for that term and immediately begin the Leave of Absence. Any adjustments to future tuition and fee charges will be made according to the schedule published by the Business and Finance Office. A Leave of Absence begun on an emergency basis does not reverse the current charges set by this schedule.

In the event that the student has been incapacitated or otherwise made unavailable, the Faculty Program Coordinator, Chair or the Registrar may initiate the written request to be approved for a Leave. In such situations the Registrar will take care of notifying all necessary College offices of the pending Leave, and will follow up to assure full approval of the Leave when all necessary documentation is received.

US Immigration Regulations

US immigration regulations may restrict the eligibility of an international student for a Leave of Absence. International students considering a Leave of Absence must consult with the Marygrove College Designated School Official so this office can determine if the proposed Leave of Absence is permissible under immigration regulations. If permissible, the College can update the student’s SEVIS record if needed, or, if the proposed Leave is not permitted by immigration regulations, the College can advise the student on other possible courses of action.

Returning from an Approved Leave of Absence

Most graduate students returning from an approved Leave must enroll for the next fall or winter term that follows the approved Leave timeframe. MAT students must return in the next fall, winter or summer term.  Students at the end of a term of an approved Leave who do not register for the next term and do not request further Leave will be considered to have withdrawn from the program at the end of the term that follows the Leave.

A student on an approved Leave of Absence must contact her/his Faculty Program Coordinator before the end of the approved Leave timeframe to plan for returning. By contacting the Program Coordinator the student can receive advising on next steps and plan future registration, with any necessary changes being made in his/her graduate Plan of Work. Such changes may be necessitated because of course availability, which may or may not allow for continuous enrollment and may affect program completion time in the future. If continuous enrollment is not possible due to course availability, the student is required to return the next term availability exists for courses still left to complete on the Plan of Work. Once advising has occurred it is essential that the student register for the planned courses in the next term courses are available. Please see further information in the Marygrove College Graduate Catalog.

Alternatives to a Leave of Absence

As an alternative arrangement, a student may remain enrolled but request his/her faculty instructors and Faculty Program Coordinator, in writing, for within-term accommodations allowing for temporary reduction in coursework or an extension of time for completing course requirements. Such accommodations provided by an instructor might include consideration for an “I” (incomplete) grade petition from the student if a majority of the coursework has already been completed and all criteria for an “I” grade have been met. Instructors and Program Coordinators are not required to provide these arrangements. “I” grades must be completed within College specified timeframes and guidelines. See the Marygrove College Graduate Catalog for full information on “I” grades.

College Services Available to Students on Approved Leave

The following services continue to be available to graduate students on Approved Leave:

Academic Services

Students retain access to the College’s library, including borrowing privileges and remote access.

E-mail and Computing

Students retain access to their College e-mail accounts, and to College websites that require authentication with a Student Login ID.

College Services Not Available to Graduate Students on Approved Leave

The following services are not available to graduate students on Approved Leave:

Scholarships, Grants

Students on Leave are not eligible for College-administered scholarships or grants. Students on approved Leave of Absence are not eligible to apply for new student loans intended to span the period of non-enrollment. Students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid for deferral and forbearance options of any outstanding student loans.

General Policies and Steps for Requesting and Approving A Student Leave of Absence

The following general policies apply to all types of Student Leave of Absence.

  1. Leave of Absence Request Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and on the Registrar’s website.
  2. The student submits this form and all necessary documentation to her/his Graduate Faculty Program Coordinator, or Department Chair; MAT students must send this documentation to the MAT Director.
  3. Chairs or Graduate Faculty Program Coordinators review and forward all requests for Leaves of Absence, with their recommendations, to the Divisional Dean or VPAA for approval.
  4. The Dean’s office will send notice and all needed documentation of approved Leaves to the Registrar, who will notify all necessary College offices.
  5. A student may submit a request to return early from an approved Leave of Absence, which is subject to recommendation from the Graduate Faculty Program Coordinator and approval of the Divisional Dean or VPAA. Such requests must be submitted to the Program Coordinator in a letter with any related medical documents attached.  A Medical Leave of Absence timeframe cannot be changed without a doctor’s signed authorization.  MAT students must send this documentation to the MAT Director.
  6. Requests for extensions, early returns or other variations from approved Leaves of Absence must be submitted to the student’s Graduate Faculty Program Coordinator or Department Chair using the Leave of Absence Request Form available in the Registrar’s Office and on the Registrar’s site on Blackboard.
  7. A newly admitted student who has registered may seek an Admission Deferral, rather than a Leave of Absence, if the request and approval occur before the end of the third week of classes in the initial term of registration.  This form is available in the Admissions Office.
  8. Most graduate students returning from approved Leaves must enroll for the next fall or winter term that follows their particular Leaves. Students at the end of a term of an approved Leave who do not register for the next fall or winter term, and do not request further Leave, will be considered to have withdrawn from the program at the end of the term that follows the Leave.
  9. An MAT student returning from an approved Leave must enroll for the next fall, winter or summer term that follows the Leave. Students at the end of a term of an approved Leave who do not register for the next fall, winter or summer term and do not request further Leave will be considered to have withdrawn from the program at the end of the term that follows the Leave.
  10. Students on Leave may finish work from previous terms, such as completing work for prior courses in which grades of incomplete have been assigned, but may not complete other requirements for their degrees (for example, taking exams, or applying or interviewing to achieve Pre-Candidacy or Candidacy status in a Teacher Certification Program).
  11. The time limit for completing the degree will be extended by the number of terms the student is on Leave.
  12. A student who has been suspended for academic or non-academic reasons is not eligible to apply for a Leave of Absence. A student on an approved Leave of Absence who subsequently is suspended will have the Leave rescinded.  A Leave of Absence will not be approved for a prior term.

> top of page


Should it be necessary to place a delinquent account with a collection agency, the student will be responsible for all collection, interest, late and legal fees.  

Should it be necessary to place a delinquent account with a collection agency and the student is a minor, the parents/guardian will be responsible for all collection, interest, late and legal fees.

> top of page

Constitution Day 2019

In compliance with the Department of Education, Marygrove College, along with other colleges and universities receiving Federal Title IV funds, is required to observe Constitution Day on September 17th. In so doing, we provide students, faculty and staff e-mail notification of the date and a link to the Federal Constitution Day website:, to obtain detailed information about the Constitution of the United States, the Amendments to the Constitution, and the Founding Fathers.

> top of page

Graduation Rates and Demographics

12-Month Unduplicated Headcount - Graduate Degree Programs July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
Description Total
Total Instructional Activity 787
Total Degree-Seeking 612
Fall Enrollment
Description FA12 FA13 FA14 FA15 FA16 FA17 FA18
Total Graduate 1009 919 891 703 490 427 355
Female 783 706 694 549 379 340 286
Male 226 213 197 154 111 87 69
American Indian or Alaska Native 2 1 1 0 0 1 2
Asian 9 3 3 1 3 2 2
Black or African American 202 173 169 125 101 72 41
Hispanic/Latino 8 11 12 15 6 2 0
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Two or More Races 11 12 13 10 1 1 0
Nonresident Alien 2 2 1 1 0 0 0
Unknown 80 96 147 118 78 173 21
White 694 621 545 433 301 176 289
Certificate: Autism Spectrum Disorders 0 0 0 0 2 5 10
Certificate: Human Resource Management 3 5 5 3 4 3 3
Certificate: School Administrator Certificate 0 0 0 9 19 18 11
Education: Teaching (M.ED.) 68 46 45 28 23 17 7
Educational Leadership (M.A.) 73 96 112 94 70 56 44
Educational Technology (M.ED.) 48 62 70 56 42 41 26
Guest (non-Degree Seeking) 11 7 7 2 2 0 0
Human Resource Management (M.A.) 21 18 22 27 23 18 16
Master in the Art of Teaching (M.A.T.) 648 524 441 320 213 193 168
Reading 510 (non-Degree Seeking) 58 95 121 109 49 22 14
Reading (M.ED.) 9 10 7 6 7 18 22
Social Justice (M.A.) 47 33 40 28 26 24 21
Special Education (M.ED.) 1 0 3 3 3 10 13
Degree/AY 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016 2016-2017 2017-2018
Total Degrees Awarded 500 361 353 340 234 234
Master's Degrees 499 359 346 335 222 227
Post-Baccalaureate Certificates 1 2 7 5 12 7
Retention of Degree-Seeking Students Per 12-Month Unduplicated Headcount Census: July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
Degree-Seeking Headcount Actively Enrolled as of 7/1/2017 Graduated Not Actively Enrolled
612 334 160 118
100% 55% 26% 19%
Overall Completion Rate
Starting Semester Cohort Headcount End of 1st Year End of 2nd Year End of 3rd Year End of 4th Year Cumulative Completion Rate by the End of 4th Year
Fall 2011 280 1 133 158 170 60.70%
Fall 2012 238 2 119 133 144 60.50%
Fall 2013 188 1 94 110 122 64.90%
Fall 2014 160 4 78 88 100 62.50%
Fall 2015 113 3 60 78    
Fall 2016 73 1 40      
Fall 2017 64 1        

Scholarship Programs

Scholarship Programs

Scholarships are available for Master's programs. Please contact the admissions department for more information at 313-927-1240 or email at

Financial Aid Available

Learn More