Your Status as a Student and Your Official Records

Classification Of Students

Minimal semester-hour requirements for classification of students are as follows: Freshmen/women: Fewer than 32 hours
Sophomores: 32 - 63 hours
Juniors: 64 - 95 hours
Seniors: 96+ hours

Student Course Load

Undergraduate students carrying 12-17 hours per semester during the academic year are considered full-time students.
During the summer session, 6-11 semester hours constitutes full time. If you plan to obtain a bachelor's degree in four years, you will need to carry the traditional 32 credit hours per year.
A full-time student may register for a maximum of 18 credit hours per semester. A student with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better may petition to register for 19 or 20 credit hours according to the following procedure:

  • You must present the written permission of your advisor to the registrar.
  • You must complete a Special Arrangements Form available from the registrar's office, with the GPA certified by the registrar.
  • The Registrar will rule on the request.
  • Approved copies of the form will be distributed to the appropriate offices.

You may not register for more than 20 credit hours per term during the academic year. During shortened terms (e.g., the summer session), the credit-hour load you'll be permitted to carry is determined by and limited to the number of weeks in the session for which you are registered.

Guest Student Status at Another Institution

Before you may apply for approval to take courses as a guest student at another college, you must have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours at Marygrove with a satisfactory grade point average (2.0 minimum). If you have accumulated 64 or more semester hours of credit, you are ineligible for guest status at a two-year institution. Students may take a maximum of 12 credit hours as a guest student. Only courses which are not available at Marygrove for the specific term will be considered for transfer to Marygrove on guest status.
Written approval from your academic advisor and the registrar is required before a guest student application can be processed. Approval forms are available in the registrar's office. If you take courses without obtaining guest student approval from Marygrove, those credits from another institution may not be accepted at Marygrove.
Students with senior status and post-degree students are not eligible for guest student approval.

Updating of Students in Good Academic Standing

If you are a student in good standing and want to return to Marygrove after an absence of two or more terms, you should apply to the registrar's office to update your files. To complete the updating process, you will need to pay a $15 fee.

Registering For Graduate-Level Courses

Under the Senior Rule, students with a 2.7 or better GPA are eligible to take courses in the 500 series. These courses may be taken for graduate credit or may be used to complete requirements for the undergraduate degree. However, if the courses are used to complete undergraduate requirements, the same credits may not be used at Marygrove for credit toward a graduate degree. You cannot take graduate level courses at the Consortium Colleges under the Senior Rule. Seniors should contact the Graduate Admissions Office for further information and an application.

Student Records

Marygrove College maintains the confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This act stipulates that college students shall have full access to any and all official records, files, and data, including all material included in their cumulative records folder.
All permanent academic records for matriculated students are kept in the registrar's office. These records include application, transfer, registration, and transcript materials.
If you wish to review your records, you should send a written request to the registrar. An appointment will be set up for the review within a reasonable time (30 days). According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students have the right to view their files but are not allowed to copy them.
Marygrove designates the following student information as public or directory information: name, address, telephone number, dates of attendance, class status, previous institutions attended, major field of study, honors, degrees conferred, participation in recognized sports and activities, physical factors, date and place of birth.
This information may be disclosed by the College at its discretion. Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Rights and Privacy Act. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the registrar's office prior to the end of registration each term. Forms requesting the withholding of directory information are available in the registrar's office. The College assumes that the absence of such a request indicates student approval for disclosure.


Permanent records of your progress are kept in transcript form.
Approximately two weeks are needed to process grades, record them, and prepare records for copy. Therefore, if you need transcripts at the end of a semester, you should wait two weeks after grades are submitted by instructors to request those transcripts.
College transcripts may be requested in person, by mail, or through WebAdvisor. Because your signature is required for release of transcripts, we cannot honor requests made by telephone. The written request should include the name under which you took courses, your address, dates of attendance at Marygrove, your student identification number or social security number and the name and address of the person to whom the transcript should be sent.
Expect a five- to seven-day turnaround time on your transcript requests. Transcripts will not be issued if your financial obligations to the College have not been met.