Undergraduate Degree Candidate Baccalaureate Ceremony
Undergraduate Degree Candidate
(Associate and Bachelor’s Degree Candidates Only)Thursday, May 10 • 7:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart Chapel, Liberal Arts Building
The Baccalaureate Ceremony consists of the procession, Mass, hooding and sending off of students. To ensure candidates celebrate and enjoy this ceremony, please follow the guidelines below.
- Due to limited space, each undergraduate degree candidate is permited three guests.
- Due to the length of the ceremony, free child care for children over two who are potty-trained is available in our Children’s Center on the lower level of the Liberal Arts Building.
- Candidates must be in their cap, gown, hood and tassel and report to the Main Dining Room in the Madame Cadillac Building by 5:45 p.m.
- Guests should proceed to Sacred Heart Chapel in the Liberal Arts Building for seating.
- Leave your purses, coats, cameras and personal items with your guests.
- Your tassel is worn on the right side and should remain there at all times.
- Appropriate academic dress is to wear black shoes with your cap and gown.
- Do not wear jewelry, large, dangling earrings and/or corsages on your gowns.
- Only the distinguished student may wear medals outside of their gown.
- Marshals are your official guides, please follow their directions.
PROCESSION TO THE CEREMONY
- Marshals will line you up by degree in alphabetical order.
- Carry your hood over your right arm with the color strip on the outside and the point down your arm.
- Candidates, faculty and staff will begin the procession to the Chapel through campus promptly at 6:30 p.m.
- At the conclusion of Mass, the hooding ceremony will begin.
- When hooding begins, hold the hood wide enough to accommodate the size of the cap.
- Once hooded, you will immediately hood the person in front of you by placing the hood over their head with the point of the hood in front and facing down.
- Do not stop to straighten any hoods until after the person in front of you has finished hooding the person in front of them. The hooding ceremony creates a wave effect, so keep it moving.
- Once everyone has received their hoods, candidates will be instructed to face the audience again.
- Marshals will direct you toward the front center of the Chapel. Alternating with the candidates on the other side of the Chapel, you will hand your name card to the person at the podium who will read your name, degree and honors, if applicable. Marshals will assist you as you recess out of the Chapel using the center aisle.
- Once outside of the Chapel, form columns on both sides in the hall to acknowledge faculty and staff that will proceed after you.