Residence Life is committed to the development of a living and learning environment which exemplifies care, respect and the promotion of scholarship, leadership, and civic responsibility. Students will work collaboratively to articulate mutual expectations and needs, reach consensus agreements, support and challenge peers, be responsible and hold one another accountable for the creation of a supportive community.
A residence hall is made up of students, living and learning in a diverse community where each person possesses certain rights and responsibilities which must be acknowledged and protected. The following statements outline minimum expectations of rights and responsibilities of residents that are a necessary part of healthy community living.
Residence Hall Statement of Commitment
All residence hall students are held accountable to the following commitments to ensure a safe, secure and educational environment. At the time of check-in, all residents are asked to sign and agree to the following statements:
- abide by all the guidelines, policies and procedures as stated in both handbooks and during the training.
- abide by the Student Code of Conduct as stated in the Student Handbook
- abide by any policy that might be added/changed and implemented by a Marygrove Administrator believed to be necessary for my safety and the safety of others.
- agree and understand that it is my responsibility to help create a community of learners in the residence hall.
- agree and understand that Marygrove is a drug and alcohol free campus.
- agree and am committed to creating a safe, relaxing, and respectful place to live and learn.
- agree and am committed to striving for success as I begin/continue as a Marygrove Student.
- agree and am committed to increasing my interpersonal skills as I live and learn with other students in the residence hall community.
- understand that I will be made aware of any updates or changes to the Student Code of Conduct as stated in the Student Handbook.
- agree and understand that Marygrove is a Catholic institution guided by the principals of the Gospel teachings.
Rights of Residents
- The right to a safe, well-maintained living environment.
- The right to live in a community free of intolerance, bigotry, and abuse.
- The right to sleep and study free from undue interference in one’s room.
- The right to access college and residence hall rules and regulations, policies and procedures which govern individual and group behavior.
- The right to resolve conflict in an appropriate, respectful manner when unacceptable behavior has been conducted by another resident.
Responsibilities of Residents
- To treat other residents with respect and consideration therefore guaranteeing them their individual rights.
- To be responsive to all reasonable requests from fellow students and cooperative in all dealings with college and residence life staff.
- To understand and adhere to all policies and regulations necessary for the residence community and to adhere to those rules as found in the Residence Life Handbook and Student Handbook.
- To contribute positively to the community which includes accepting responsibility for personal and community safety; i.e. to refrain from misusing safety equipment, damaging property, losing keys/ID cards, etc.
The Marygrove Student Code of Conduct and Housing Handbook govern the expectations of behavior for all students and guests.