Title: Campus Safety Sergeant
Department: Campus Safety
Reports To: Captain and Lieutenant
Classification: Hourly-Full Time
Description: This is a supervisory position which reports to the Lieutenant of Campus Safety. The position of Sergeant is a uniform; working supervisory title which means the Sergeant is responsible for not only supervision of the on duty staff but is also responsible for performing patrol duties of the campus property. The Sergeant is responsible for ensuring a safe and secure atmosphere here at Marygrove College.
- Handle day-to-day personnel scheduling, ensure adequate tour coverage, and conduct roll call for a specified Campus Safety tour
- Conduct post inspections and ensure that Campus Safety Officers completed the required paper work for their shift.
- Patrols College property, in a vehicle or on foot, to provide security and traffic control
- Directs and controls all on duty campus safety personnel. Oversees proper performance of duties and adherence to established rules, policies, procedures and the Chain of Command.
- Review Incident Reports and other Campus Safety reports prepared by Patrol Officers
- Supervises in-field training. Oversees that each officer is knowledgeable and competent
- Complete Monthly Fire Extinguisher inspection logs
- Complete Monthly inspections of Campus Safety emergency call boxes
- Supervises in-field training. Oversees that each officer is knowledgeable and competent.
- Performs physical security checks of campus facilities
- Responds and supervises emergency and non-emergency radio calls
- Observes, reports, and identifies persons involved in suspicious activities, including suspicious vehicles. Ensures that unauthorized persons leave the College property.
- Enforces university policies, regulations, and municipal, state and federal laws. When requested, assist local law enforcement as necessary.
- Conducts investigations as assigned by Campus Safety Captain or Lieutenant and completes detailed reports.
- Assists Student Life and Residence Life personnel as necessary. Provides on-campus escorts to the university community
- Represent the Campus Safety Department at employee and student events/meetings in the absence of the Captain or Lieutenant of Campus Safety
- Other related duties as assigned by the Director, Captain, or Lieutenant of Campus Safety
- High School Graduate (Associates/Bachelor Degree preferred)
- No Felony convictions and must be free from dependency of alcohol or drugs not prescribed by an attending physical
- Possess a valid Michigan Operator’s License and have an acceptable driving record
- Have a working knowledge of State Laws, City Ordinances, and a familiarity with first aide and fire prevention as well as control techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and understand routine orders, to write clear and comprehensive reports and to articulate the English Language. Ability/knowledge of computer programs, access control systems, CCTV Cameras systems, picture identification systems, and Two Way Radios. Have at least seven years in Law Enforcement or Campus Security experience
The screening process will continue until successful candidates are chosen.
(state title of position on subject line).
For information on the College see www.marygrove. Marygrove is committed to achieving a faculty and staff that is reflective of its diverse student body, and welcomes and encourages applications from members of communities historically underrepresented in higher education. EOE