Position: Residence Life Coordinator
Supervisor (s): Director of Residence Life
Status: Part-time; Temporary (Graduate Assistant)
The Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) is a part-time position with a live-in expectation responsible for assisting in providing quality housing for students; maintaining a safe, healthy, living and learning environment; addressing student conduct issues and daily management of the residential facility. The RLC provides direct leadership and supervision of the Resident Assistant Staff and indirect supervision of the Desk Assistants. Availability in the community is critical to success. The residential experience is a 24/7 operation and often requires nontraditional hours and out of the box thinking. The incumbent must be flexible to providing coverage, programmatic support, and crisis response on a daily basis. This position requires a nightly on-call commitment. To be successful in this position the incumbent must be able to:
- Delegates duties effectively to the RAs during duty hours
- Responds to crisis situations effectively and in a timely manner while on-call
- Maintains appropriate boundaries between staff and students
- Practices a daily and healthy work/life balance
- Demonstrates flexibility in maintaining a 20 hour weekly work schedule while understanding both high and low times due to the nature of the academic year
- Communicates and requests time off as needed.
Qualifications: Ideal candidates should possess two or more years living in an academic residential setting. Prior experience in Residence Life and/or Student Activities to include leadership development and mentoring.
Areas of Responsibilities:
- Develops and utilize hall opening/ closing procedures
- Maintains occupancy/roster and maintain key inventory
- Maintains administrative and informal records
- Exhibits appropriate conduct with students, administration, staff and alumni at all times.
- Assists with summer operations including Registration Days, New Student Orientation, and other planning and preparation for the academic year.
- Carries a College issued cell phone for administrative and safety needs
- Interviews, selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates Resident Assistants and front desk staff as needed.
- Provides guidance on College policies and procedures
- Provides ongoing staff development to develop a cohesive and unified Resident Assistant team.
- Bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with RAs and weekly staff meeting with RA staff
Community Building and Education
- Establishes a strong, positive learning environment within the residence halls and the College community
- Works with resident assistants in developing floor/building communities conducive for high academic achievement.
- Provides direction and coordination for all residence life programs and activities that address the needs of the residential community and the mission of the College
- Educates students to recognize, respect, accept and appreciate individual rights and differences in people and ideas.
- Utilizes the discipline process to serve as an educational tool.
- Educates staff and students to self-enforce policies and respect the rights of others through community standards
- Serves as a liaison between the residential community and the Director of Residence Life.
- Maintains a high level of visibility, availability and contact with residence during office hours and overnight coverage.
- Follows up on all incident reports in a timely manner and submit to the Director of Judicial Affairs.
- Conducts assigned discipline meetings and initiate discipline letters and referrals as needed.
- Refers all counseling concerns as needed.
- Works collaboratively with Judicial Affairs, the Judicial Board and the Assistant Dean of Student Development as needed.
Health and Safety
- Provides live-in coverage of student housing facility during nights and weekends as well as providing timely responses to and assessments of emergency and crisis situations.
- Provides crisis management support and intervention on a nightly basis and responds as necessary.
- Coordinates emergency procedures, conducts fire drills, manage medical emergencies, and informs residents on emergency procedures.
- Monitors the computer lab and reports, follows up and responds as needed.
- Coordinates with facilities personnel to ensure all repairs and maintenance issues are completed in a timely manner.
- Assists in coordinating student check-in, check-out, and room changes, including assessing damage charges and processing paperwork in a timely manner.
- Furnished one bedroom apartment
- Partial meal plan to use in engaging with students and staff when the cafeteria is open for service
- Parking spot
The screening process will continue until a successful candidate is chosen.
(state title of position in subject line). For information on the College see www.marygrove. Marygrove is committed to achieving a faculty and staff that is reflective of its diverse student body, and welcomes and encourages applications from members of communities historically underrepresented in higher education. EOE