Job Title: Adjunct Faculty
Department: Online Education Division, MAT program
Reports to: Director of Online Education Division
The Online Education Division, in partnership with faculty and staff, enhances student learning options by providing high quality, online, degree and non-degree programs that deliver exceptional content and state-of-the-art technology support with the purpose of increasing student knowledge, developing key skills and preparing students to lead urban communities into the future.
The MAT Adjunct Faculty is a direct report to the Director of Online Education Division and is also responsible for the development, implementation, and success of teaching and learning in specific multiple academic online programs the faculty is qualified and authorized to teach. This position includes, but is not limited to helping meet accreditation, evaluation, strategic initiatives in curriculum and instruction, course and content development, student advising, graduate advising, and program coordination. We are looking for adjunct faculty from multiple areas: Education, Education Technology, Instructional Design, Special Education, Reading Education, Math Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Teacher Education, Education Administration or related.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Participatory, interactive, constructive, and socratic teaching of the subject matter, establishing learning communities and utilizing online technologies available within the course and college to maximize learning experience.
- Conduct textbook reviews when necessary.
- Connect with IRB review committee/person for graduate thesis advising. Maintain, track, and process thesis progress reports, plan of work, and feedback/evaluation processes for graduating students.
- Program advisor to students, addressing emails and phone calls of personal students about the program, contact information, etc.
- Facilitate curriculum and instruction development in coordination with projects as developed by the Academic Operations Manager and Division Chair.
- Faculty webinar/conference participation, involvement, and/or presentation
- Facilitate the implementation of initiatives, HLC, Open Pathways, TEAC, INTASC and INACOL standards, and other course development projects.
- Involvement with online, discipline, and departmental committees and subcommittees to work on improving curriculum, curriculum updates, college initiatives, and faculty training.
- Address student inquiries about courses, course feedback, course instructions, etc., within 24 hours or less; grade with formative and summative feedback on all assignments each week, returning all graded work each week, etc.
- Involvement each semester as a Faculty Advisor for Graduate Capstone/Thesis development with students, Content Specialists with Instructional Designers, Course Reviewers, and/or Faculty Trainer, mentoring new online faculty into teaching for Marygrove based on the training program, standards, expectations, and policies established by the Online Education Division.
- Involvement with research in the field, APA guidelines and updates.
- Collaborate and facilitate utilization of resources for self and students with the Writing Center and Library.
- Follow and uphold processes, and maintain professionalism in communications with students, faculty, staff and administration.
- Maintain technological skills and professional development to address new trends in learning and teaching: adaptive learning, technology, etc.
- Maintain academic rigor and high standards while maintaining excellent communication and sensitivities to diverse students, students’ learning styles, confidence and learning needs as expected for undergraduate and graduate level courses.
- Meet deadlines for course readiness and other process workflows and uphold contractual obligations per expectations and requirements of the online division.
- Further duties as evolved.
- PhD or Ed.D in discipline/subject to teach. Current areas: Education, Reading, Special Education, Education Technology, Instructional Design, Teaching, Math Education, Curriculum and Instruction, Teacher Education, Education Administration or related.
- Three (3) years online teaching experience in higher education
- Three (3) years Blackboard 8.0 or higher experience.
- Three (3) years’ experience with academic technologies: MOOCs, mobile, textbook/publisher software.
- Three (3) years’ experience with principles of contemporary instructional and curriculum design (ADDIE, UbD, student-center, constructive, learning communities).
- Articulate, timely and consistent verbal and written communication.
- Research experience in field and as an educator.
- Proficient in computer skills, MS Office skills, and related software
- Ability to adapt and learn new technologies and software
- Ability to use online virtual conferencing software (e.g. WebEx, etc.).
- Working knowledge of evaluation, assessment, and training.
- Ability to collaborate extensively with instructional designers, quality assurance, and the OED office
- Solid understanding of higher education mission, trends, and needs.
- Strong understanding of adult learning theory and how it applies to online education.
- Strong understanding of curriculum including but not limited to Education, Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, Sciences, Mathematics, etc.
- Ability to work from any location and at different times as needed for certain projects.
- Committed to the team and goals.
- One (1) year faculty mentoring/training experience.
- Graduate student advising
- Experience in curriculum design and course development.
- Experience with media, technology, and various tools to enhance learning.
- Experience with IRB reviews.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and successfully complete tasks according to established deadlines.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity and equality.
- The ability to responsibly handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
An equal opportunity employer, Marygrove College is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.