Job Title: Student Engagement Specialist and Success Coach
Department: Success Center, Office of Academic Affairs
Reports to: Director of Success Center
Classification: Full-time, Exempt (salaried)
Date Prepared: October 15, 2014
The Success Center’s mission is to develop competent and effective urban leaders by providing services that direct,
inspire, and inform students to optimize their experience at Marygrove, assist students to excel academically, and
prepare students for meaningful and impactful careers through success coaching, experiential learning, and skills
The Student Engagement Specialist will provide leadership to student organizations, Greek Life, and assist in creating a
vibrant campus life. Reporting to the Director of the Success Center, the Specialist is responsible for strengthening
campus programs, activities, and services that enhance the quality of campus life and student engagement.
- Develop educational and leadership programs to effectively guide student organizations, and the fraternity/sorority community.
- Outline policies and expectations to educate students/organizations/chapters regarding community standards.
- Coordinate and oversee the Student Government Association and its leaders. Advise leaders on methods and processes. Assist in problem solving a variety of issues.
- Responsible for the planning, management, and implementation of New Student Orientation activities.
- In collaboration with Success Center staff, offer input and action steps to assist in the integration of Marygrove freshman as they transition into their first year experience.
- Designs and implements various workshops and seminars on leadership development and team building.
- Design and implement leadership development programs to assist students in gaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform leadership functions.
- Designs and implements various workshops and seminars on diversity, social justice, multiculturalism, equity and identity development.
- Teach students program planning and mentor them throughout the academic year.
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators to build upon successful collaborative programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate across the campus to program and launch initiatives intended to enhance the experiential learning of the students.
- Attend workshops, department activities, seminars, and conferences related to job responsibilities.
- Supervision of several work-study students.
- Work collaboratively with the other Success Center staff to develop and deliver workshops, programs, and presentations.
- Track and monitor student engagement via surveys, student feedback, focus groups, etc.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Master`s degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel, or a relevant field and three years of progressively responsible
experience in managing higher education student life programming and student organization activities. Must be detailoriented
with excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks simultaneously; follow
through on tasks and meet deadlines.
- Sensitivity to the roles and perspectives of a diverse, multicultural community is essential.
- Possess strong leadership and problem-solving skills; the ability to engage in program development.
- A collaborative leadership style; and knowledge of student/leadership development theory.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
- Excellent communications skills including both written and verbal with experience presenting to groups of people; including ability to develop and maintain effective, collaborative professional relationships with staff, faculty, and students.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Knowledge of group dynamics and proper meeting procedures.
- Plan, organize, and make independent decisions reflecting sound judgment.
- Demonstrated excellence in problem solving.
- Experience in program design and implementation.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Innovative, creative, and dynamic professional who is passionate about student development.
- Considerable knowledge relating to Student Development and Student Engagement.
- Understanding of and commitment to Marygrove’s Vision, Mission and Values.
The following qualifications are desired: experience coaching and mentoring diverse student groups; experience
developing and leading training programs for students; experience Greek Organizations and understanding of student
policies and guidelines.
Technology Skills Required:
Must have strong computer skills; experience with social media platforms and marketing, experience using Microsoft
Publisher or other programs used to create marketing and communication materials; in-depth experience with
Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and ability to learn additional software programs as needed
Position and your name on subject line). The screening process will continue until a successful candidate is chosen. For
information on the College, see www.marygrove.edu
Marygrove College is committed to achieving a faculty and staff that is reflective of its diverse student
body, and welcomes and encourages applications from members of communities historically
underrepresented in higher education. EOE