Students must complete each of the following courses with a grade of C or better.
SPA 250 Intermediate Spanish I**
SPA 251 Intermediate Spanish II**
SPA 350 Advanced Grammar & Composition
SPA 332 Latin American Humanities -OR- SPA 354 Iberian History & Culture
SPA 351 Introduction to Hispanic Literature
** these courses do not count toward teacher certification
Students must complete three additional credit hours, with a grade of C or better, from among the following courses:
SPA 310 Business Spanish
SPA 320 Conversational Spanish
SPA 401 Translation Workshop I
SPA 402 Translation Workshop II
SPA 403 Business Translation Workshop
SPA 488 Cooperative Field Experience
SPA 491 Independent Study
Special Elements of the Minor
1. SPA 150 and SPA 151 can be used to fulfill general education requirements. Credit earned for SPA 150 and 151 cannot be applied toward a Spanish minor.
2. Advanced Placement and CLEP credit in Spanish can be applied toward the elective hours needed to complete a minor. You can receive up to 12 hours of credit.
3. If you are placed into SPA 350 Advanced Grammar and Composition, you must still complete the 20 credits required for a minor in Spanish; you will not receive credit for SPA 250 or SPA 251.
4. First-hand language experience. You will find that you will get the most out of your language program if you take every opportunity to speak Spanish and to immerse yourself in Spanish-speaking cultures. You can earn Spanish credit while studying overseas through Marygrove’s Study Abroad program. Work and volunteer abroad opportunities, summer jobs, and work/study placements can also put you in touch with Spanish-speaking people. To earn a Spanish minor, you are encouraged to participate in an approved study abroad program in a Spanish-speaking country, or approved equivalent.
5. Students are strongly advised to sit for the Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera – Certificado Inicial exam, though they are not required to pass the exam in order to earn a minor in Spanish.