The Bachelor of Arts with a language arts major requires a minimum of 39 credit hours (at least 20 at the 300 level) in the major and completion of the components described below. The Bachelor of Arts degree also requires a minor and completion of elective courses as required.
Please see the Teacher Certification.
A. General Education Requirements
See General Education
B. Required Courses (21 credits):
- ENG 160 Introduction to Literature
- ENG 205 Children’s Literature
- ENG 260 Approaches to Literary Studies
- ENG 314 Literary Theory and Criticism
- ENG 317 The English Language: History, Structure, and Grammar
- ENG 496 Senior Seminar
- DAN 161 Introduction to Acting
Two of the following (6 credits):
- ENG 207 Introduction to Mass Media
- ENG 264 Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENG 275 Introduction to Classical Mythology and Literature
- Two of the following:
- ENG 301 British Literature 1
- ENG 302 British Literature 2
- ENG 310 American Literature I
- ENG 311 American Literature II
Two 300-level literature courses
Please see additional requirements, including ENG 348, Teaching Writing and Speaking, in Teacher Certification.