Students take EDU 203: The Teaching Profession, prior to being admitted to the TCCERT program. This course should be taken in either the first or second year. It is an exploratory course that assists you in determining if you are suited for the teaching profession. During the course, the entire procedure for admission to teacher certification will be clarified. Following is an abbreviated listing of the requirements for admission:
- Satisfactory completion of EDU 203: The Teaching Profession.
- An overall grade point average of 2.7.
- No more than one notice of academic probation.
- Completion of all developmental and foundational courses in reading and writing with a minimum grade of C and of all math courses with a C average.
- Required application form filled in and submitted to the certification officer, along with other necessary documentation (obtain a packet from the education assistant in Room MC 214).
- A passing score on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Basic Skills Test.
- Screening and acceptance process of the education unit, including personal interview.